Our Mission is to share the value of musical performance experience as well as music education. The experience includes attending concerts, music education training and learning, and increasing appreciation for the art itself (classical music or music education regardless of the style in general).
As part of this mission, we continue to share here numerous studies (with time from more sources) that are done in the past or have been recently published.
The following research is shared here with permission from USC Brain and Creativity Institute (more info. at https://dornsife.usc.edu/labs/brainandmusic/publications/)
- Sachs, M. E., Habibi, A., Damasio, A., Kaplan., J. T. (In Press). Dynamic intersubject neural synchronization reflects affective responses to sad music. Neuroimage, 116512.
- Hennessy, S. L., Sachs, M. E., Ilari, B. S., & Habibi, A. (2019). Effects of Music Training on Inhibitory Control and Associated Neural Networks in School-Aged Children: A Longitudinal Study. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 13, 1080.
- Ilari, B., Perez., P, Wood., A, & Habibi, A. (2019). The role of community-based music and sports programs on parental views of children’s social skills and personality. International Journal of Community Music
- Sachs, M. E., Kaplan, J., & Habibi, A. (2019). Echoing the emotions of others: empathy is related to how adults and children map emotion onto the body. Cognition and Emotion, 1-16.
- Sachs, M., Habibi, A., & Damasio, H. (2018). Reflections on music, affect, and sociality. In Progress in brain research (Vol. 237, pp. 153-172). Elsevier
- Habibi, A., Damasio, A., Ilari, A., Sachs, M., & Damasio, H. (2018). Music Training and Child Development – A Longitudinal Study. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences.
- Sachs, M., Habibi, A., Damasio, A., & Kaplan, J. (2018). Decoding the Neural Representation of Emotion-related Meaning Expressed through Sounds. Neuroimage, 174, 1-10.
- Ilari, B., Fesjian, C., & Habibi, A. (2018). Entrainment, Theory of Mind, and Prosociality in Child Musicians. Music and Science, 1, 2059204317753153.
- Habibi, A., Damasio, A., Ilari, A., Veiga, R., Joshi, A., Leahy, M., Haldar, J., Varadarajan, D., Bhushan, C., & Damasio, H. (2017). Childhood Music Training Induces Change in Micro and Macroscopic Brain Structure; Results from a Longitudinal Study. Cerebral Cortex, 1-12.
- Sachs, M., Kaplan, J., Damasio, A., & Habibi, A. (2017). Increased engagement of the cognitive control network associated with music training in children during and fMRI Stroop Task. PLOS One, 12(10), e0187254.
- Ilari, B., Fesjian, C., Ficek, B., & Habibi, A. (2017). Improvised Song Endings in a Developmental Perspective: A mixed-methods study. Psychology of Music, 0305735617715515.
- Habibi, A., Cahn, BR., Damasio, A., & Damasio, H. (2016). Neural Correlates of Accelerated Auditory Processing in Children Engaged in Music Training. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, 21, 1-14
- Ilari, B. S., Keller, P., Damasio, H., & Habibi, A. (2016). The Development of Musical Skills of Underprivileged Children over the Course of 1 Year: A Study in the Context of an El Sistema- Inspired Program. Frontiers in Psychology, 7.
- Habibi, A., Sarkissian, A. D., Gomez, M., & Ilari, B. (2015). Developmental Brain Research with Participants from Underprivileged Communities: Strategies for Recruitment, Participation, and Retention. Mind, Brain, and Education, 9(3), 179-186.
- Sachs, M., Damasio, A., & Habibi, A. (2015). The Pleasures of Sad Music: a systematic review. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 9.
- Ilari, B., & Habibi, A. (2015). Favorite songs, melodic elements, and a familiar tune: Performance of children from Brazil and the United States on components of the ATBSS. Musicae Scientiae, 19(3), 265-281.
- Habibi, A., Ilari, B., Crimi, K., Metke, M., Kaplan, J., Joshi, A., Leahy, L., Shattuck, L., Choi, S., Ficek, B., Haldar, J., Damasio, A., & Damasio, H. (2014). An Equal Start: Absence of Group Differences in Cognitive, Social and Neural Measures Prior to Music or Sports Training in Children. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 8 (690), 1-11.
- Habibi, A., & Damasio, A. (2014). Music, Feelings, and the Human Brain. Psychomusicology: Music, Mind, and Brain, 24(1), 92.
- Habibi, A., Wirantana, V., & Starr, A. (2014). Cortical activity during perception of musical rhythm: Comparing musicians and nonmusicians. Psychomusicology: Music, Mind, and Brain, 24(2), 125.
- Habibi, A., Wirantana, V., & Starr, A. (2013). Cortical Activity during Perception of Musical Pitch: Comparing musicians and nonmusicians. Music Perception: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 30(5), 463-479.
- Lee, M.D., & Habibi, A. (2009). A Cyclic Sequential Sampling Model of Bistable Auditory Perception. Proceedings of the 31st Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society. Austin, TX: Cognitive Science Society
- Duverne, S., Habibi, A., & Rugg, M. D. (2008). Regional Specificity of Age Effects on the Neural Correlates of Episodic Retrieval. Neurobiology of Aging, 29(12), 1902-1916.